Travelling in the Barents region
Tourism plays today an important part in the economy of the Barents region and the promotion of tourism accross national borders also strengthens human contacts.
The weather and light conditions changing from the midnight Sun in the summer to the period of darkness in the winter with the difference in temperature from +30 C to -40 C offers lots of possibilities and experiences for the people arriving here.
The rich and diverse cultural life also offers memorable experiences for the tourists.
- Murmansk tourism portal
- Travel to Russia - Kola Peninsula and Murmansk - information on sights and maps, transportation, accomodation, tours and visas.
- Karelian tourism portal Introduction of towns and nature of the region, road map, accomodation, activities, restaurants. Very comprehensive service in English and Russian.
- Karelian Holidays
- Travel in Russia, Karelia - information about traveling to Karelia, in Finnish and Russia
- Travel in Arkhangelsk - official site of Tourist Information centre in Arkhangelsk regional administration. English and Russian.
- Travel to Vorkuta
- Russia.com - North West Russia - A Guide to the sites in North West Russia.
- Rest in Karelia - information resource on Karelia: tours, accomodation, hotels, sightseeing etc. (Russian)
- Russian National Tourist Office - This website is managed by the Russian National Group, a business corporation which provides a full range of travel and travel related services through operators in Russia. The site provides information about visas, cruises, tours and hotels. It also includes a slide show of Russian tourist attractions and links to external websites. Tips for travellers, online maps, and a list of frequently asked questions are also included on this site.
Highlights in the Finnish part of the Barents region
Highlights in the Norwegian part of the Barents Region
Highlights in the Russian part of the Barents Region
- The Solovki Islands - Monastery, canal system, beluga watching, labyrinths
- Solovki interactive map - with lots of info and photos
- All of the Solovetsky Islands
- Solovetsky Hospitality Association - Official website of the autonomous non-profit organization is addressed to tourists. Contains information on historical and cultural monuments Solovkov, the tourism infrastructure (transport, hotels, etc.) and other useful information.
- Khibiny mountains - Trekking, ski resort, fishing
- Village Kimzha - Information for tourists, protected Kizhma, expeditions, photos, etc.
- Tourism info in the www.murman.ru portal - hotels, restaurants, activities, travelling, fishing, tours, in English.
- Arkhangelsk tourism - a great portal with interactiv map and lots of good practical information.
- Kenozersky National Park - Guide map of the park, photos, etc.
- Golubin - The website of the tourist complex represented fairly complete information on tourism and leisure at Zapovednom Pinezhe (the schedule of tours, accommodations, prices).Tentatively available describing the nature reserves.
Highlights in the Swedish part of the Barents Region
Imagine a hotel built from thousands of tons of snow and ice, and re-built every winter - that is Icehotel, in the small village of Jukkasjärvi in northern Lapland, Sweden.
- Teknikens Hus
A whole world of technology and exciting place for the curious of all ages.
- Gammestad church town - a world heritage
The city of Luleå was founded around the old church in the 17th century.
- Inlandsbanan - the Inland Railway Line
- Welcome to Guldriket - a journey through the history of people, work and mining in the Skellefteå district in the northern part of Västerbotten
- Ostens Hus - a tasteful destination.
The permanent exibition in Ostens Hus (the house of the cheese) tells the story and the myths behind the Västerbottensost, the world-famous cheese from Västerbotten.
- Visit Umeå
Historical and modern sights in the region of Umeå
Travelling to Russian and also traveling from Russia to Finland, Norway or Sweden you need a valid visa.
Articles about tourism and everyday life in the Barents region