Barents Media Guide
Map sources for the Barents region
General map of the Barents Euro-Arctic region
- Barents data portal pools public data and builds on data engines to generate an embeddable Barents data visualizations.
Nordic Centre for Spatial Development
(NORDREGIO) - thematic maps with information on demographics, education, settlements, etc.
The mapping authorities in the Barents region
National Land Survey of Finland
Norwegian Mapping Authority
Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, Land surveying and mapping
- national map producer of Russia
- official producer of maps in the N-W Russia
National Land Survey of Sweden
General maps and map links
Population in the Barents region
- Patchwork Barents
Interactive map of Finland
- by the National Land Survey of Finland.
Interactive map of Finland for hikers
- you can get maps up to 1:5 000.
sivustolta löytyy tietoa miten voit hankkia erilaisia karttoja Karjalan tasavallasta.
Interactive map of Norway
GeoNorge GeoPortal Web Map Server
- possibility to view themes like geology, landcover, roads, railroad, waters etc.
Norge i bilder
- air and satelitphotos from the entire country
Interactive map of Russia
with basic information about regions
Maps from Karelia
– information on the maps from the Republic of Karelia. On the web pages you can find information on the producers, availability, price, scale, etc. of the maps which can be both topographic and thematic.
- an interregional community created to promote the market of geospatial technologies and services.
Administrative division of Murmansk Oblast and Republic of Karelia
Administrative division of Arkhangelsk oblast and Republic of Komi
Map of Sweden
- maps of Norrbotten
Nature & environment
Established and planned protected areas in the Barents Region
Protected areas in the Barents region
Main reindeer herding areas
The World Database on Protected Areas
- provides the most comprehensive dataset on protected areas worldwide
Topographic maps of the Murmansk Region
and Kola Peninsula - scales from 500 000 to 50 000 - full coverage), maps of Khibiny and Lovozerje
Maps of Murmansk:
Map of Murmansk
- interactive map of the centre of Murmansk with street addresses.
Northern Circumpolar Soils Map
- consists of dominant soil characteristics covering the United States, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, northern Europe, Russia.
Circumpolar Arctic Vegetation Map
- defines the spatial extent of dominant vegetation in terms of the dominant plant growth forms and physiognomy. Mapped vegetation extends south to the treeline, which varies with longitude.
Land Resources of Russia
- includes map coverages of various soil characteristics for all of Russia, map consists of shapefiles of landscape polygons for the Russian Arctic coastal zone (scale 1:4,000,000).
Landscape Map of the Russian Arctic Coastal Zone
describe landscape unit types for the Russian Arctic coastal zone (scale 1:4,000,000)
Atlas of the Cryosphere
- dynamic map application, shows snow cover, sea ice extent, glaciers and permafrost, by National Snow and Ice Data Center.
Daily sea ice maps
Satellite photo of the Earth
- view the Earth as currently seen from a satellite in Earth orbit.
Mineral potential and mining in Fennoscandia
- the Metallogenic Map of the Fennoscandian Shield shows areas of metal deposits and probable future metal ore discoveries in the Fennoscandian Shield. The map has been produced for use as a tool in selecting strategic areas for mineral exploration as well as for research in economic geology.
Interactive geological prospecting map of Finland
- by the Geological Survey of Finland
- map themes covering the entire Norwegian Continental Self with data from Norwegian key data owners. information on oil and gas activities in the Arctic seas. Arctic Web is a joint-industry project aiming to make Arctic data accessible and searchable in one place, providing also a map interface. Access to ArcticWeb is open to key data owners and subscribers only.
- interactive world atlas showing thematic information. Globalis aims to create an understanding for similarities and differences in human societies, as well as how we influence life on the planet.
AMAP maps and graphpics
- the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Prorgamme provides access to graphics files and GIS datasets associated with maps and graphical products that appear in AMAP reports, etc. Several hundred files are available and this resource is regularly being added to..
Indigenous peoples of the Arctic countries
Old maps of the Arctic region of the Nordic countries
Old maps of Arktis and Antarktis
- a collection of world maps, where territories are re-sized on each map according to the subject of interest.
- digital geological map data of the world.
Internet shops for Russian maps:
East View Cartographic
- an interactive world map in Swedish and Norwegian
Maps of the Barents Euro-Arctic Region
You can use these maps freely in your presentations, publications and website provided that you mention the source of the maps as: "Map by the Arctic Centre, University of Lapland".