Forests and forestry related links
Northern forests grow slowly, and many of the species and ecological relationships found in them take time to develop. In Fennoscandia, economic pressures have pushed the logging industry northward into the timberline forests. The impacts of this expansion are extensive and long-lasting, but new management approaches may help.
Read more on the management and biodiverisity in Fennoscandian timberline forests.
Portals and projects
- Focus on forests - site contains statistics, publications and articles about forest resources, forestry, forest industry and timber trade in Norway.
- Fylkesmannen.no - provides information about the Norwegian counties. One of the categories of information is Agriculture and Forestry (Landbruk), and under this category there is information about Forestry (Skogbruk) for each of the counties. As of August 2007, the information about forestry was only available in Norwegian for most of the counties.
- Levende Skog - Living Forest - a collaborative project to develop a framework for sustainable forest management to achieve a balance between the three aspects forest production, environment, and social interests.
- Nordicforests.org - a tool for the display of unprotected High Conservation Value Forests in the Fennoscandic countries.
- SkogInfo - a Norwegian portal with general information, news, links, and announcements regarding forestry, hunting, and fishing
- SkogsNorge - Forest Norway Portal
- Federal Forestry Agency (Rosleskhoz) - information about the agency, forest fires, illegal logging, research, and educational resources is available on the web-site. The site also contains, news, statistics, publications and a glossary of forest terminology in Russian.
- Forest & Nature in Northwest Russia - Finnish Russian Development Programme on Sustainable Forest Management and Conservation of Biological Diveristy.
- Forest.ru - a portal with information and links about Russian forests, their conservation and sustainable usage. The site provides official data available, official concept of Russian forestry and guidance through Russian forest legislation and regulations.
- Co-operation on nature conservation in Northwest Russia 1997-2010 - Finnish Environment Institute.
- Idän metsätieto -internetpalvelu - Russian forestry information service; LESINFO.FI - a Finnish service with news, publications, statistics, maps, links, images and documents about Russian forestry sector, with special interest on development of forestry, forest policy and environment in North-West Russia.
- Komi Model Forest Project - Komi Regional Non-Profit Foundation “Silver Taiga”. Founded by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation SDC.
- Map of the reserves and national parks of Russia
- Natural Resources and Ecology of Karelian Republic - provides information on natural resources, ecology, forest resources, source of minerals and raw materials, water source, and land tenure in the Republic of Karelia.
- Protected Areas of Russia - site presents information about protected nature areas of Russia. The information includes data on 101 nature reserves, 35 national parks and 68 federal reserves. The information about a particular protected area is available by clicking on an interactive map or by selecting the area from a list.
- Russian Forests - all about Russian forests. Information about Russian forests, their conservation and sustainable use.
- Russian Virgin Forest GIS Data - the site has links to maps (the data are in GIS format) of virgin forests of the European part of Russia and species maps of Russian forests.
- Russian Forests and Forestry
- Silver Taiga - Komi Regional Non-Profit Foundation
- All of the forests of Arkhangelsk Region - The site Arkhangelsk forest expedition. Information on the activities of enterprises; details of the forestry fund the Arkhangelsk region; images and electronic maps of forests.
- Lesprom.ru - A comprehensive portal for the timber industry, which can be found in timber mart, news and analysis in the forestry sector. Some of the services charged. Russian and English.
- High conservation value forests (HCVF)
- Baltic Forest – Forest as a resource for sustainable development and spatial planning in the Baltic Sea Region.
- BALANCE Stakeholder Portal - information on climate change effects on forestry in the arctic.
- NOLTFOX Nordic and Baltic Database for Long-Term Forest Experiments - a common database showing all experiments and experimental series in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden), Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), and the UK with a common classification standard.
- 5EURES - Bioenergy production know-how to five European regions - project aims to bring together the experts in forestry and bioenergy from participating regions, which are follows: Barnim (Germany), North Karelia (Finland), Cataluyna (Spain), Marvao (Portugal) and Eastern Lithuania.
- Nordic Family Forestry - the website for The Nordic Forest Owner’s Associations.
- Roundwood Prices in the Baltic Sea Region
Institutions and organizations
- Forest fires in Russia - site provides information and analysis about forest fires in Russia - including news, articles, reports on forest fires, forest protection, machinery for forest protection, analytical data and expert opinions on the issue of forest fires.
- Forest Bulletin
- Forest News - the newspaper is devoted to news and events in the Archangelsk forest region, covering also forest education and forest policy.
- Metsälehti - a magazine for Finnish forest owners and forestry professionals. It provides up-to-date on various topics including silviculture, timber trading, forest taxation, forest technology and other for the forest owner and forest professional important matters. Current prices for pine, spruce and birch timber for the whole of Finland and for the different regions are given on the web-pages.
- Dissertationes Forestales - Finnish dissertations in forest sciences
- Maaseudun Tulevaisuus - (The Rural Future) is a broadsheet newspaper (published 3 times a week) covering the news on agriculture and forestry as well as business around them, and on enterprises and life in general in the countryside in Finland.
- Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research - The journal is aimed at researchers of forestry in boreal and temperate regions
- Skogsland - a weekly magazine that provides coverage of the forestry and processing industries. The target groups are farmers, forest owners and employees in cooperatives
- Glossary of forest protection - Made available on the web by Metla, it provides an alphabetical list of over 100 terms with definitions in English, with many of them also in Swedish and Finnish.
- Kansallinen metsäohjelma 2010 - Finland’s National Forest Programme 2010