Atlases, Encylopedias and Portals
- BarentsPortal - The Joint Norwegian-Russian Environmental Data Portal for the Barents Sea
- NatureGate - tells about the many aspects of nature in Finland. Provide a wealth of information about Finland’s plants, birds and butterflies, as well as many pictures of our featured species. You can even identify plants using the unique species-identifying tool. In English, Finnish, Germany, Spanish, French and Swedish.
- Vital Arctic Graphics - the graphics outlines key issues in climate change, pollution, and development of the Arctic, paying special attention to human environment interactions, and specifically highlighting the perspectives of Arctic indigenous peoples. With a combination of illustrations and case studies, this web site highlights the major environmental and sustainable development issues in the Arctic. By GRID Arendal
- Climate Expeditions - provides information based on current ice core research for educators, students and the public.
- BioDat - BioDat is one of the largest Russian sites, devoted to biodiversity issues. BioDat includes data (databases, catalogs, surveys) on the following topics: Nature, people, collaboration; Business and ecology; Nature protection; Information and knowledge. Some of the content is available in English.
- Biological Atlas of the Arctic Seas 2000, Plankton of the Barents and Kara Seas, by Murmansk Marine Biological Institute, RUSSIA; Ocean Climate Laboratory, NODC/NOAA, USA Presented are physical and biological data for the region extending from the Barents Sea to the Kara Sea during 158 scientific cruises for the period 1913-1999.
- Den virtuella floran - offers information about Swedish flora and its species.
- Ecology of the Nenets Autonomous area. About the ecology of the region, photos, protected areas, ecological dictionary. In Russian.
- Enviropedia - user-friendly information on global atmospheric environmental issues like global warming, ozone depletion, weather & climate, sustainablility and acid rain.
- Phytoplankton of the Barents Sea - table of specific content of microphytoplankton of the Barents Sea, made on the base of literary sources and observations. Album with video of separate representatives of microalgae.
- Nature in the Murmansk region - climate, landscapes, minerals, geology, forests, plants and animals, ecology.
- Flora of the Murmansk Region - information on the main types of plants of the Murmansk Region. in Russian
- The Planet - The aim with the production is to enhance public awareness of the planet Earth; to show its limits, its treats and its possibilities. - in Swedish, Norwegian and English.
- Eco-site NAO - Environmental site of Nenets Autonomous District. General information, history, specially protected territory, industrial ecology, law, red book, map NAO etc.
- Nature Russia - national portal. Here can find the analytical data on the state of the atmosphere, water, forest, land, biological, climatic, mineral and other resources in the special region. To get the correct information, go to the section entitled "Russia" right partition ( "climate", "Air", "Water", etc.), then click on the link special area.
- Electronic environmental library - Web site created through the work to expand access to environmental information and environmental information resources of the Arkhangelsk region.
- Vascular plants in the municipality of Enontekiö - In Finnish
- Värriö blog
Maps and satellite photos
Projects and programs
Environmental data centers and international programs or working groups
- Global Change Vulnerabilities in the Barents Region: Linking Arctic Natural Resources,Climate Change and Economies (BALANCE) - overall goal lies in the assessment of present and future vulnerabilities of the Barents Sea Region to climate change. As national and regional economies depend at least partly on renewable natural resources, links between the economy and ecology need to be examined against the background of climate variability in order to specify effective adaptation strategies for reducing the vulnerability of northern communities to a changing climate.
- Barents Environmental Platform project homepage. A network of experts and a common research program will be established. An interactive database of existing research and collected data will be developed thus facilitating the designing of new projects.
- Climate Change Communications Programme / Ilmastonmuutoksen viestintäohjelma - provides focused information, finances communication projects, and promotes co-operation. Enhances public awareness and actions in Finland towards mitigating climate change.
- Ecological site of Arkhangelsk Oblast. - in Russian
- eco-projects.ru. SPEPS Program of small environmental projects, in Russian
- Expedition in the Barents and Kara seas - results of a multidisciplinary research expedition that was performed in the Barents and Kara seas September 2001. The focus of the marine-geological works was to collect data for the clarification of the Last Glacial Maximum limits in the northern Kara Sea and the related drainage pattern of the West-Siberian rivers.
- Waste cadaster of smelting industry of the Murmansk Region - in Russian
Systemised code of information about waste of main and subsidiary industries, their quality and quantity characteristic, and placements shown in maps
- Kola regional association "For safety of drinking water and food" - in English, Norwegian and Russian. Statement of regional monitoring of pollution of drinking water, food products and water food rations in the region. Conduction of independent researches on safety of drinking water and food.
- The green belt of Fennoscandia ** Luonnonsuojeluyhteistyö Suomen, Norjan, Ruotsin ja Venäjän kesken / Cooperation in environmental protection with Finland, Norway, Russia and Sweden, only in Finnish.
- Nordic Nature - trends towards 2010 - a Nordic communication project on biological diversity financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers. All Nordic countries are participating; Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands.
- AMAP Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programm
- CAFF Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF) is a distinct forum of Arctic professionals, indigenous peoples representatives, and observer countries and organisations, to discuss and address circumpolar Arctic conservation issues.
- EPPR - Emergency Prevention, Preparedness and Response Working Group
- GRID Arendal - provides environmental information, communications, and capacity building services for information management and assessment.
- Center for International Climate and Environmental Research - Oslo
- Svanhovd Environmental Center (Finnmark).
- Research institutes - see Education and Reseach page of the portal
- TOPAZ - Towards an Operational Prediction system for the North Atlantic European coastal Zones
- Barents Green Community Index
- Bellona Foundation. Environmental Foundation
- Suomen luonnonsuojeluliitto. Finnish environmental protection association, in Finnish
- WWF - World Widlife Fund
- Virgin Komi Forests at Natural Heritage Protection Fund - site in Russian and English
- Nature and Youth - Norway, Nature and the youth - Murmansk - only in Russian
Murmansk regional youth ecological organisation. Information. History. Activity. Projects. Partners. Publications.
- Biodiversity Conservation Center *** - non-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting the protection of wild nature throughout the former Soviet Union. Publications online: "Nature Reserves and National Parks" and "Living Arctic" - Especially protected natural territories in the Murmansk Region (Apatity). Ecological and economical basement of new especially protected natural territories: national parks "Кutsa", "Khibiny", "Tersky coast", "Lapland forest". Russian part contains maps.
- Transboundary Environmental Information Agency (TEIA). A Nonprofit Organization, aims to promote international cooperation on a non-governmental level by assisting in the distribution of information across border areas in the Baltic states and northwestern Russia.
- The foundation for strategic environmental research
- ArtDatabanken - Swedish Species Information Centre. The Swedish Species Information Centre works with biodiversity, serving as the focal point for information on threatened species and biodiversity in Sweden. Its main tasks are to collect, evaluate and store the most important information about threatened and rare plant and animal species.
- Silver Taiga - Komi Regional Non-Profit Foundation
- Environmental site Arkhangelsk Region - The site regional office Russian Green Cross. Contains analytical information, articles on current issues of environmental protection in the region, review the environmental activities of public organizations, facilities and environmental programs and projects, competitions, links to the Environmental Resources Network.
- Plant your tree - Ecological movement in Arkhangelsk.
Study papers, reports, publications
- Environment & Rights / Ekologiya i Pravo- magazine offers extensive, in-depth analysis and news on the Russian environmental situation, as well as related legislation and the legal ways to exercise a citizen’s rights to a favourable environment. English summaries of the magazine’s articles sorted by place and date.
- Environment Times - a publication by UNEP/GRID-Arendal. Contains Environment & Powerty, Polar and Environment, Arctic Environment.
Nature, information centres and tourism