Information on towns of the Murmansk oblast and Republic of Karelia
- Alakurtti - about the village, history, nature, photos.
- Photos in flickr
Murmansk (eng, pyc)
- Murmansk - 100th Anniversary
- website dedicated to the anniversary containing information on the
people of the city, history, news and also information for tourists, in
English and Russian.
- Catalogue of Internet sites in the Murmansk region - Google translator (in English)
- Tourist info - hotels, restaurants and tourism companies - in English
- art.murmanout.ru - information on cultural activities in Murmansk; music, theatre, artists, dancers etc. In English and in Russian
- Overview, center and bus lines maps
- Photos - Webcam
- Photos in flickr
- Business catalogue
- Murmanout.ru - what’s going on in Murmansk. Music, movies, theater, museums, sports, etc. - (translator)
Nickel (Wikipedia: Nikkeli, translator)
- Olenogorks portal - administration, photos, companies, telephone catalogues, history
- Olenegorsk - informal urban site (translator)
- Long-distance telephone code: 81552
- Translator - administration, contacts
- Long-distance telephone code: 81551
Closed Cities of the Murmansk Region (ZATO map)
In the Murmansk Region there are several so-called "Closed Administrative Territorial Formation", or ZATO (zakrytye administrativno-territorial’nye obrazovaniia). During the Cold War they were often referred to as the "Secret Cities." All of the closed cities in the Murmansk region holds naval bases of the Northern fleet. They are know under different names. Today’s offical name is listed first. In addition to Polyarnyy and Severomorsk, there are four closed cities: Ostrovnoy (Gremikha, Murmansk-140), Zaozersk (Zapdnaya Litsa, Murmansk-150), Skalistyy (Gadzhievo, Murmansk-130) and Snezhogorsk (Murmansk-60). Some of the ZATO have their own offical web-sites (only in Russian):
Republic of Karelia
Republic of Karelia - see machine-translated version in English (google translator)
Kareliainfo.org - Internet guide to information services on the Republic of Karelia (translator)
Karelian tourism portal - Tourist Information Center is a new form for providing tourism-related information and interacting with travel industry.
Maps of Karelia - Karelia on the map of Northern Europe; map of administrative division;map of population density; Transportation;Tourist companies and Attractions;cultural institutions; museums (translator)
Lakhdenpokhya (Lahdenpohja) - Background information: the history of the city and its environs, the events of contemporary life, information on individual companies and institutions, photo gallery, the work of urban art school students, etc.
Medvezhyegorsk - information about city: history and photographs of the city; timetable of trains. (translator)
Heninen.net - information about villages in the Republic of Karjala and history of Karelia